I turn the spotlight on the following underrepresented cuisines for my cover story in US 1’s 2016 Spring Dining issue:
- Puerto Rican- the rarest of the Hispanic/Caribbean cuisines in the state
- Polish – traditional, but with a light touch
- Taiwanese – inside the area’s only ramen house, so you find two hard-to-come-by genres in one spot
- Ethiopian – it’s in New Brunswick but it’s not Makeda, which closed down over a year ago
- Indian Chinese – not Indian and Chinese, but rather a terrific mashup that’s trending: Chinese restaurant dishes modified to fit Indian tastes.
Not pictured: Dashen, New Brunswick & Rozmaryn, Trenton. They’re all sit-down, full-service BYOBs. Details & interviews with the owners here in the April 27 issue.